We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Bean and lentil soup
- Lentil soup
I improvised this at home from a few other recipes. If you want more of a soup just add more water/stock.
10 people made this
- 400g red lentils (soaked for 24 hours)
- 1-2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 4 red chillies, chopped
- 1 fresh green or jalapeno chilli, sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock granules (or premade stock, but don't add water later) - add less powder stock than you do water as more will make the dish salty
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated root ginger, or to taste
- 4-5 cloves of crushed garlic
- ground cardamon (or pods)
- cumin seeds
- garam masala
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:2hr ›Extra time:2hr15min › Ready in:4hr30min
- Add the onion, chilli, celery, red pepper, pumpkin, ginger, garlic and spices to a large pot. Add enough water to just cover ingredients and place over high heat; bring to a boil.
- Drain the lentils and add these to the pot. Continue to add water as needed. Add a stock granules and stir.
- Simmer for at least an hour with the lid of the pot on. Taste the mixture and add additional ingredients as you see fit.
Unfortunately while I was making this I was adding spices - without measuring them - by intuition. This means that all of the amounts for the spices are estimates. I would recommend the this recipe be changed according to your preferences and that this recipe does not need to be followed to the letter.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1)
Reviews in English (1)
A very flavourful and creamy soup but for my family the amount of seasoning was overbearing. Next time I will use half the amounts of seasonings. I didn't soak the lentils for 24 hours but otherwise followed the recipe. Thank you for the recipe.-03 Oct 2015