We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Meat and poultry
- Cuts of beef
- Stewing steak
This is a tried-and-tested beef stew that can be made on the hob or in the slow cooker. This should make a very substantial meal for two (we get two meals out of it) or can serve four with some bread and green veggies.
226 people made this
- 500g diced beef stewing steak
- 1 teaspoon oil (any apart from olive oil)
- 1 onion, chopped roughly
- 2 carrots, chopped into chunks
- 2 potatoes, chopped into a 2" dice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 glass red wine
- 1 teaspoon beef stock granules (optional)
- 1 fresh thyme sprig (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- water to cover
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:4hr ›Ready in:4hr15min
- Get a frying pan good and hot and brown beef well in the oil, do it in batches if necessary to avoid steaming the meat. At this point my casserole dish is also on the heat.
- When meat has a good colour, transfer to casserole dish and pour red wine into de-glaze frying pan. Stand back, eyebrows are good. Throw the remaining ingredients into casserole dish and give a good stir around. Season well, plenty of pepper and salt give it depth now, you can't add it later and get the same effect. Use cracked pepper or freshly ground. (Ready ground pepper is the devil's dust and should not be used.)
- Pour red wine in from frying pan making sure you get all the yummy bits stuck to the bottom. Add water to cover, about 1-2cm above is good. Cover over medium-low heat and forget about it.
- At about 30 minutes before the end of cooking (2-12 hours depending how hungry you are / how many drinks you have had / how long you have toiled at work) let stew bubble without a lid to reduce the sauce. It should have a nice gravy consistency like you'd get from an instant packet gravy.
- If this is taking too long and you're hungry, add said instant packet gravy to get immediate thickening. The meat should be melt in the mouth tender. Enjoy!
Make it in a slow cooker
You can easily make this in the slow cooker. Simply add to a slow cooker instead of a casserole, and cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(22)
Reviews in English (29)
This is delicious, I added some of the ale I was drinking to a slow cooker (prior to passing out) and let the slow cooker work its magic on low for 8 hours. (That's when I awoke)The slow cooker allows you to get pissed and pass out, wgen you awake, ravaged with hunger, its ready.thanks, fabulous!!!!!!-18 Jan 2014
Altered ingredient amounts.I substituted Stewart Island Rainwater for tap water - not quite as nice but it did the trick !!-19 Jul 2009(Review from this site AU | NZ)
Simple, easy and delicious! Thankyou, Madvix - so glad you won the slow cooker! Just remember to reduce the fluid, because very little evaporates from the slow cooker and you can easily end up with a watery sauce. Apart from the wine, I used only half a cup of beef stock, no water. Don't be tempted to add other flavourings, the bay leaves, Worcester Sauce and freshly ground pepper give a beautiful taste. I used beef shin and cooked on LOW for 8 hours. Perfect! (A tin of mixed beans make a very nice addition)-30 Jan 2010(Review from this site AU | NZ)